Who are we looking for?
We are searching for a copy editor with an innate ability to unearth inconsistencies, surface inaccuracies and fix muddled sentences. You understand that the copy editor’s job is to enhance and clarify, not override, the authorial voice. Ultimately, we need an eagle-eyed editor with a passion for ensuring high-quality content. Improving content is like breathing to you. When giving a sworn statement, you place your hand on the house style guide.
For this role, it will help (not required) if you have a strong interest in health and medical topics. Not trendy clickbait, but evidence from clinical studies, scientists, and research institutions. If your studies have ever taken you into college-level statistics or science classes, all the better. You will quickly amass a knowledge base of 33+ chronic conditions and use that knowledge every day. You are curious and ask questions if you don’t understand something.
We are a strongly mission-based company, and our content empowers people living with chronic conditions. For this reason, you need a strong sense of empathy and compassion. Some of the content we cover is challenging and must be handled with great sensitivity. Editing at MyHealthTeams sometimes involves discussions of when and how to use humor, avoiding a flippant tone, or spotting an image that doesn’t align with the symptoms or demographics of a particular condition.
What criteria and skills are we seeking?
- BA in English, writing, or journalism
- 5+ years of experience as a copy editor
- Strongly detail-oriented, able to focus on each comma, citation, and line break
- Organized and capable of having many projects in different stages at once
- Highly collaborative – happiest as part of a team and comfortable dealing with multiple stakeholders
- Comfortable giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Ease with academic-style citing and referencing
- Devoted to the in-house style guide
- Good learner – up for absorbing basic information about 33+ health conditions
- Total mastery of MS Word
- Comfortable with (or willing to quickly learn) Asana and Google drive
- Familiarity with AP style and APA style references
- Unwavering loyalty to the Oxford comma
What is the scope of responsibilities?
This role will be approximately 75 percent copy editing/QA/content support and 25 percent writing. These levels will likely fluctuate week to week, but copyediting will be your prime focus. This role will:
- Edit drafts of all content
- Enforce content guidelines across all sites
- Work with Design to keep text within style guidelines
- Work closely with Production to QA all content before it goes live
- Finalize citations and references on cited articles
- Research condition communities to find social proof (anonymous member quotes) for articles as needed
- Support the Content department as needed
- Write assigned content depending on capacity after other tasks
This is a full-time, in-house position with the opportunity to work in our downtown San Francisco office, our midtown Sacramento office, or remotely. We are offering a great opportunity to make a difference in the healthcare space.
We have two office locations in San Francisco and Sacramento, with a distributed workforce in the U.S. — both the West Coast and East Coast. We strive to be agile and test-driven, but we’re pragmatic enough to know we’re not perfect. A close-knit company where everyone respects everyone else’s contribution to our success.
MyHealthTeams is a lean (38-person), venture-backed startup that creates social networks for people facing chronic health conditions. We believe that if you’re diagnosed with a disease such as MS, lupus, breast cancer, or diabetes (to name a few), it should be easy to find the best people around to help you. With social networks in 33 different chronic conditions and more than 2 million members, MyHealthTeams is the fastest-growing social network in chronic health. We believe that four years from now, if you’re diagnosed with a chronic condition, your doctor will prescribe one of our social networks because being socially engaged improves health outcomes for their patients. We develop partnerships that empower and are transparent to our members.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Copy editor.